Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Ewald Schroder

Default Treating Sick Chilli Plants

Tim, or anyone else, in order to kill off any tobacco mosaic virus in
a home-made cigarette extract for spraying bug-infested plants, any
ideas what the best way is to sterilise the mix? By boiling? By
treating with acid or alkali, and then neutralising? Boiling would
surely be something to do outside, as what a stink that would make!
Thanks, Ewald Schroder

Tim wrote in message news:oprqumfqrqwxhha1@localhost...
On 15 Jun 2003 10:22:34 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Ewald Schroder wrote:
I've just successfully treated my homegrown chilli plants from an
aphid infestation. I made an extract of cigarette butts and dried
crushed hot chillis (soaked overnight then strained). Best of all,
it's herbal (if addictive..), really quite important for a food plant.
Only thing is, spray it on outside, unless you like the smell of fags.
Worked in just 3 days. Ewald Schroder

A traditional and effective method. Probably illegal, but so what?
Don't leave that stuff lying about where it might get drunk, though!

I find soft soap (I using Savona, though washing up liquid and/or
pure soap washing flakes will do) effective, and it is completely
harmless to mammals in reasonable quantities.

Watch out with tobacco, and after handling unburnt tobacco products, as and
tobacco mosaic virus still lingering in the leaves can infect the chilli
plants too. Tim.