Old 25-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Tim

Default where to cut the pea?

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 01:27:17 +0100, shannie wrote:

This may sound like a very simple question and it is but I honestly don't
know the answer. When pulling peas/mangetout/sugar snaps from the plant
do
we leave the 'flower head' (looks like a night cap) on the plant or take
it
off??
One body of opinion here is, it's a bit like leaving daffs to die away
naturally, another is they sap the energy from the rest of the plants. so
break off before the 'cap' or leave it on the plant.

Er, that's the whole point of mangetout, you eat everything. Have you tried
pulling the pods off without taking the flower sepals as well? Pull the
whole thing off with stalk if it comes too. As I see it, you can't compare
peas to daffs, as peas don't withdraw back into a bulb. The peas just grow.
So leaving the flower head on won't make any difference.
Tim.