Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Rod

Default Soft fruit for two

"Chris" ] wrote in message ]...
I was thinking of, say, one each of: gooseberry; black currant; white
currant; red currant.
How big would the cage need to be?
And what varieties would you recommend?

Your Red /White Currants and gooseberries won't take much room at all if you grow them as cordons, grow 2 of each
red/white as single cordons and 1 gooseberry trained as a double cordon, you'll need about 8-10ft of row with posts and
wire for those. Quality is much better than you get from bushes and you can pick your gooseberries without getting cut
to ribbons.
I would add to that half a dozen raspberry canes, a few strawberries say 2 or3 of perhaps 4 varieties to spread the
season, and a blackcurrant - I prefer the older tastier varieties like Wellington XXX.

Rod