Old 05-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Snooze

Default Distilled water?

The reason that it is recommended to water potted plants with distilled or
rain water, is to prevent the buildup of salts in the pot. In some areas,
the tap water has a lot of minerals disolved in the water, such as calcium
and magnesium. Over time this builds up in the pot, and changes the pH of
the soil.

Some plants are more sensitve then others to the changes, I'm not familar
with this plant, but I'm guessing it is sensitve the soil composition.
You'll also see that many books and websites recommend changing the potting
soil every few years, for the same reason.

In nature this isn't a problem, because rain water washes away the excess
buildup of salts. But indoor plants don't really experience much of nature.

Sameer

"jammer" wrote in message
My striped dracaena is said to need distilled water. Can i boil and
cool water and use it? This is kind of an emergency as the leaves have
to be cut off now as it is. I want to repot it but have no water. Can
i boil and cool water and use that?
I thank you.
jammer