Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Chris

Default Soft fruit for two

In article , Rod
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...

I was thinking of, say, one each of: gooseberry; black currant; white
currant; red currant.
How big would the cage need to be?
And what varieties would you recommend?

Your Red /White Currants and gooseberries won't take much room at all
if you grow them as cordons, grow 2 of each
red/white as single cordons and 1 gooseberry trained as a double
cordon, you'll need about 8-10ft of row with posts and
wire for those. Quality is much better than you get from bushes and you
can pick your gooseberries without getting cut
to ribbons.
I would add to that half a dozen raspberry canes, a few strawberries
say 2 or3 of perhaps 4 varieties to spread the
season, and a blackcurrant - I prefer the older tastier varieties like
Wellington XXX.

Now that's very interesting, Rod - I hadn't thought of cordons.
It sounds a bit advanced for me but I'll read up on it.
The thing I haven't had much success with is finding out about the fruit
cage design. I've done a thorough web search.

There are very expensive commercial ones - but I was thinking of three
inch square posts set in those metal spikes you can get from B&Q.
Do you reckon 2m x 4m and 2m high would be enough?
I'd like to see some, really, to get design ideas.
--
Chris