Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Victoria Clare

Default young trees, lost label!

I have some young trees I planted in pots a couple of years ago as seeds.

I am fairly sure they are either cornelian cherry (cornus mas), or cherry
plum (prunus cerasifera). But I can't remember which, and I've lost the
label and the packet!

Anyone able to suggest how I could tell, given that they are only about 5
inches tall?

They have very slim leaves, smooth and untoothed, tapering to a pointed
tip, and placed alternately along the tiny trunks. Each leaf has a couple
of tiny green spurs at the base of the stalk. Young leaves are a bright
beech green, but quickly darken to a mid to dark green.

The bark, what there is of it on such tiny trees, is brown and smooth.

Any help would be appreciated!

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill