Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Victoria Clare

Default young trees, lost label!

"Paul Kelly" wrote in
:

In .205,
Victoria Clare typed:
.

Any help would be appreciated!

do a google search, click on images and hey presto a variety of images
of the tree in question to compare yours to.

Been there, done that. I didn't find detailed enough images of young
plants rather than mature trees.

Most of the pics of the cherry plum online are of a purple-leaved
varient - there is also a green version, which is what I might have, but
there are fewer images of that.

Hoping someone here might have bought the same Chiltern Seeds pack that
I did, and might recognise my description.

I personally prefer Altavista's image search to Google's for this job,
as I think the quality and relevance of the images returned for
gardening searches is better.

Google is a more text and link-focussed engine, and pays less attention
to filenames and alt text than surrounding content. This tends to
favour images from 'popular' rather than 'expert' sites, in my
experience, which is why you sometimes get a weird mix of random icons
and holiday snaps in with your image lists.

Altavista is less clever in its handling of link popularity, but for
plant images, that's just what you need.

I've tried both in this case, but was unsuccessful.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall