Old 25-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Alan Gould

Default Soft fruit for two

In article , anton
writes

AG: Sunberry may be what we know as worcesterberry.

No- sunberry is given as raspberry x blackberry in Hessayon's
'the Fruit Expert'. Worcesterberry is in the currant family.

It grows as a small very
dark gooseberry - we are just beginning to pick our two bushes of it
this week. They are interesting enough as a novelty, but we prefer to
rely on straight gooseberries - and later on blackberries for reliable
annual supplies.

According to Joanna Readman in her 'Fruity Stories'; a jostaberry is a
cross between a blackcurrant and a gooseberry; and a worcesterberry is a
small, purple, very thorny gooseberry - I believe it to be a blackberry
cross with gooseberry.

I think you mean blackcurrant, in any case.

I've checked Joanna Readman's text - and my quotation of her is as she
wrote it. In some books, worcesterberry is described as a wild fruit.
I can confirm that ours are very hardy and disease resistant, though the
fruit is nothing very special.

Chambers English Dictionary defines worcesterberry thus: " A N.American
species of gooseberry (Ribes divaricatum), not a hybrid" R. div. is
given in Zander as E.Coastal(USA) Black Gooseberry, Common gooseberry.

have fun,

Thanks, we always do when we are gardening :-))
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.