Old 25-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Victoria Clare

Default young trees, lost label!

Pam Moore wrote in
:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:34:09 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

I have some young trees I planted in pots a couple of years ago as
seeds.

I am fairly sure they are either cornelian cherry (cornus mas), or
cherry plum (prunus cerasifera). But I can't remember which, and I've
lost the label and the packet!

Your description does fit with them being chery plum.

Thanks loads, all. I'm now pretty sure they must be cherry plums, and
cannot be Cornelians. I expect the toothing and fattening of the leaves
will come when they are a bit bigger (if not, I shall have to do some
serious research using Jim's suggestions to find out what on earth I have
planted!)

Pam, I have planted a couple to fill a gap in a hedge, and plan to make the
third a member of my rather overgrown orchard, so I am hopeful that the
three of them will pollinate one another. I also have an almond and a
small forest of what is probably a plum rootstock of some sort.

The latter does not flower much, so perhaps I'll keep the third in a big
pot for a few years, till I see if it is more willing to blossom than the
mystery plum-alike. I am cheered to hear that yours flowered well!

I also have a couple of baby sweet chestnut trees and a cobnut (all grown
from supermarket nuts) that could go in that spot, so it will be a race to
see which grows fastest and looks best.

Victoria (now resolved to stop planting trees from her shopping...)
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall