Old 25-06-2003, 11:44 PM
andrewpreece

Default Composting Tea Bags

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies

So how is one meant to dispose of them?

into the dustbin, and there was a proposal to make it illegal to
put meat scraps into the compost bin, but I don't remember anything
explicitly about tea bags.

Isn't it illegal ( EU directive ) to have a compost heap within 270 feet (?)
of a domestic dwelling, so if you have one at all you're probably a
criminal, never mind what you put on it.....
It is also illegal ( EU directive ) to burn wood on other than the
ground it was grown on. I expect you'll all be turning yourselves in to
the police bright and early tomorrow - if you come clean they might go
easy on you!!!

Andy