Old 26-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Is my sunflower dead?!?

From: "Adam Schwartz"
Date: Wed, Jun 25, 2003 7:08 PM

I had a 3 foot tall sunflower growing in a pot in my yard. We are having
rainstorm here and when I looked out my bck window I saw my poor sunflower
leaning at about a 45 degree angle. I moved it closer to the house under
the balcony and propped it up against the wall. I don't see any breaks
at
all in the stem. This is my favorite plant in my garden and I don't have
time to grow a new one this year. Will it die? What can I do to save it?
Please help!

Thanks,
Adam

Well.....I'm growing new ones 'cuz my wabbits ate my old ones. (Wild wabbits,
mind you.) But fear not, because sunflowers have very shallow root systems and
it's probably leaning because the storm pushed it over, pulling up the roots on
one side. Just readjust the plant by gently pressing the roots back down into
the soil in the pot and maybe adding a bit more soil if necessary. You should
certainly put a stake in the pot with it now or whatever you can do to give the
plant the support it needs as it grows. (Leaning it against a wall isn't the
way to go.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa