Old 26-06-2003, 04:08 AM
~ Windsong ~

Default Color me DISCOURAGED! Bonnie - Stabbing fish?????

In the last chapter: Bonnie Espenshade picked up the keyboard and
pecked out:
:: It didn't work for me with the green heron. It would
:: stab a fish through the net and then leave the fish to
:: die,

** Bonnie. I watched the herons here. They don't STAB fish. They catch
them in their beaks, flip them head first towards their throat and swallow
them. If they stabbed them they would be unable to OPEN their beaks to eat
them. Your net was too close to the water. Our nets are above the water by
about 18". They can't reach the fish below, nor is the net's 1" size big
enough for them to remove a fish should they somehow weigh down the net and
grab one. They will *not* land on the netting. I've seen them land near
the pond's edge and look for an opening in the net. They'd go around and
back again. After awhile they gave up and flew off. We didn't see any last
summer, or so far this summer. The local heron population probably knows
it's a waste of time to try and fish here. :-)

because it couldn't get it out from under the net.

** If it couldn't get it out of the net where did it leave the fish to die?
It would fall back into the water when the heron let go of it. Again, they
don't STAB the fish. The Kingfishes (we think it was a KF) didn't stab
them either. They caught them as a heron does and flew away with them in
their beaks.

--
*.·´¨¨))