Old 26-06-2003, 04:56 AM
dstvns

Default What's eating my hostas

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:58:27 GMT, "seepnezorf1"
wrote:

I live in Mass...zone 6 and for the past few years we've had about 24 hostas
by a stream. However this year something is doing a number on the leaves
and in some cases eating them right down to the ground. We do have deer
roaming the yard in the winter, but I haven't seen them since early Spring.
What enjoys eating hostas and what can I do to get rid of them?

Adolescent deer. The winter killed many, but the ones that lived are
growing fast. They are growing fast on your hostas...and they don't
follow pre-established deer trails...they find their own way, and
usually their own trail of destruction, especially in the summer all
the way to the rut.

Spreading bone meal or blood meal *BEFORE* the trail is established
might stop them, but by now he knows there's food in your area, so
they'll keep coming back. A hunting license or very high fence is
your only hope now.

Dan