Old 26-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Joanne

Default Basil flowering

John DeBoo

Is there any good reason why I should not let my basil go to flowers
as it is now doing? Does it lose its flavor or anything or is it ok
to let it go and continue harvesting the leaves as needed?

Once the plants have gone to flower the leaf production diminishes as
the plant puts its energy into procreation/seeds. By pinching back
flowers, flavourful leaves will continue to be produced; flowers
pretty much spell the end to new, tastey leaves. Depends what you
want, seeds for next year or leaves to enjoy eating.

jcm
Canadian zone 5b, don't know my U.S. zone equivilant, but it's really
hot this week!