Old 26-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Tim

Default Coriander

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:58:42 GMT, AndWhyNot wrote:

I have been trying to grow some Coriender for a while now without much
success ............. mainly because it goes to seed as quickly as it
grows .......... I then discovered that I needed a 'for leaf' variety
such as Centrillo (or a something similar name)

These seeds seem like rocking horse manure, and our local garden
center look all glassy eyed when I mention 'leaf variety' but sure
enough produced a packet with ' CORIANDER FOR LEAF' stamped all over
the packet .................. these went to seed even quicker than the
others !!!

I am planting in grade one silt soil (just to make everyone else
envious, normally we just throw stuff in the ground - no matter - and
it will grow, the soil is that fertile :-) )

Or could this be the problem?? I know parsley likes rubbish soil

Mike

I've not had any problems on different soil. I've growin it in heavy clay.
Don't give it too much sun, it likes a light, shady, warm but not hot
place. I find it does well in pretty cool places too.
I think it tends to bolt when it gets too hot or dry. Direct hot sun is a
no-no.
I'm having great results this year growing it close to a row of brocolli -
I think it like the shade and moisture.
It's basically ready when it's around 8" tall. You can pick most of the
leaves and new ones will grow from the base for a while, so you can extend
it's life that way. Then plant another row....
It does go to seed pretty quickly though, I will admit.
Tim.