Old 26-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Tim

Default Composting Tea Bags

On 26 Jun 2003 09:11:51 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article oprrc8yshiwxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:
| | and :
| Q4. Do I need a License to compost at home?
| | No. Householders are excluded from the requirement to have a waste
| management license for a composting site. This requirement only
applies to | "establishments and undertakings". The amended Animal By-
products Order | will also exempt domestic households from the need to
be licensed by the | State Veterinary Service to compost
catering/kitchen waste.

In a word, "crap". The 1999 order makes composting of any animal
products illegal - the correct answer to the question is "yes". The
correct question to which the answer is "no" is "Will I need ...".

It says in the link this refers to the 2001 amendment of the 1999 order, so
I'm sure it's in effect now.

| http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...cs/kitchen.htm

It isn't a major point, but this document attempts to hide the fact
that the Animal Byproducts Order 1999 was a balls-up.

| I can find no hints at all that this might be true. I can conceivably
see | the reg. being applied to commercial composting companies.

Look at the actual Statutory Instrument - I found it quickly using
Google. From 1999 onwards, the situation was as I described.
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hang on, what are we talking about here? I was looking for info about how
far the compost heap should be placed, and to the part of the quote that
suggested we might need a licence. My comment "I can find no hints at all
that this might be true....." was not meant to apply to the defra link, but
the link from the article that I thought I'd put in my post but obviously
didn't....oops.

Tim.