Old 26-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Green Earth

Default avoiding weed killer "friendly fire" incidents

They really are a nightmare, aren't they?

yeah!

I'm probably stating the obvious, but you are cutting them back, and
waiting for the new shoots to come out before using weedkiller, I
imagine. That's what I do with the ones I can't dig out: cheaper,
easier, safer, and more effective. I also use a water-colour brush to
dab SBK on the freshly-cut surfaces: but this doesn't seem to work
100% of the time. Would your paraffin approach be better for that?

I mix the sbk with parafin to make it shower proof so the rain can't
wash off the sbk. I cut them right back, I paint the leaves and the
stem so I can get more SBK on them. The real difficulty is getting rid
of brambles that are growing up through another plant or shrub.

If we could just find a way of making them appetising to slugs...perhaps
disguising them as dwarf bean plants or something!