Old 26-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Wild Strawberry in the Perennial Garden

Vox Humana wrote:

I noticed some wild strawberry in my back lawn a couple of years ago and
thought it was novel. What a mistake! Now my lawn is overtaken with the
stuff. It invaded some perennial beds. I spent two days pulling the stuff
from a bed of ground cover. I didn't find it at all easy to pull, but my
soil is heavy clay. My fingertips were raw. The wort part is that if you
don't get every last trace it just grows back. Even the wildlife won't eat
the berries.

Consult a more reliable source, but I believe that anything that looks
like a strawberry (check definitions) is edible. That is, a plant with
3 notch-leaved stems and red strawberry-looking fruit. Perhaps your
birds and whatnot are waiting for perfect ripeness. I've got some
growing in my side "lawn" -- think I'll go out and sample. Will report
back. If you see no more posts from me, I was wrong in my
recollections. :-)