Old 26-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Composting Tea Bags

In article oprrdncalpwxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:
| On 26 Jun 2003 13:34:04 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:
|
| I really don't see anywhwere in the 1999 order that says or even implies
| composting. It's clear to me that it only applies to animal waste products
| that are *intended* to be fed to animals (and their definition of animals
| excludes humans).
| I suppose you could stretch the point (quite a lot) and say that anything
| grown on compost could be eaten by animals...
|
| How do you interpret it as applying to composting?

By exclusion! If it isn't explicitly permitted, it is forbidden.

But I have found the reference to the exclusion of catering waste;
sorry I missed it. It means that you are right that the 1999 order
probably doesn't apply, but the 2001 one does. And, yes, you can
say just that - my compost heap is visited by cats, for example.

| The article said:
| Tamzin Phillips said: "It presents us with some interesting challenges. We
| cannot compost the leaves off the cauliflowers, the teabags or the coffee
| grounds."
|
| I don't see how the National Trust got to that conclusion at all.
| Feeding it to animals, as swill or whatever, sure, that's clear. But
| composting? And what applies to the NT catering doesn't apply to private
| homes as the NT is a commercial business.

I think that she is deluded. But the only difference I can see
between commercial and domestic applies to used cooking oil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.