Old 26-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Tim

Default Composting Tea Bags

On 26 Jun 2003 13:46:11 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article oprrdgeij4wxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:
| | But that was 1999, did they look at the 2001 amendments ? Which to
my | untrained eye looks like the 1999 Order has been changed to only
apply to | catering businesses kitchens and farms etc. What the order
says is that any | waste from COMMERCIAL kitchens can't be composted. So
unless you run a | business from your ktichen you're ok.

No, that is a tightening of the 1999 order.

I read it as shifting the emphasis.

| But I don't see what the problem is because the 1999 order applies to
| feeding animals waste, not to making compost. I am hard pushed to find
any | connection - unless you keep animals on your land, or you let your
compost | be fed to other animals. The amendment has changed this to
make it clearer | that it applies to commercial waste and/or farm
animals. I'm sort of | discussing this with Nick at the moment.

Read it again. Look at sections 3 and 5, for example. Non-Vegan
kitchen waste is probably an animal product under the order.

Sorry, I can't see what you mean. I think it all hinges on the definition
of animal by-products:

From the 1999 order:

'Interpretation and scope

3. - (1) In this Order, unless the context otherwise requires -
"animal" includes poultry;
"animal by-products" means - (a) animal carcases;
(b) parts of animal carcases (including blood); or
(c) products of animal origin;
not intended for human consumption, with the exception of animal excreta
and catering waste;'

also:

'Animal by-products
Animal by-products are defined in Part I of the Order as carcases or parts
of carcases, or products of animal origin, which are not intended for human
consumption, but the definition excludes catering waste and excreta. Animal
by-products are divided into two categories: high risk (e.g. fallen stock)
and low risk (e.g. slaughterhouse waste which is fit for human consumption)
..'

So you can't just read 'catering waste' wherever animal by-products is
mentioned. Catering waste includes household kitchen waste. It would only
be relevant if the waste contains or has been in contact with meat or meat
products. As it says in the expalantory notes at the end. If it hasn't then
there's no problem.

| The Order just basically states that people who have animal by-
products | must dispose of them in a number of ways (composting isn't
one of them). | Catering waste is specifically excluded from the
definition of animal by-| products.

I can't find that.

See the bit I quoted above.
It's paragraph 3 of the 1999 bit. The second quote is from the very end of
the document in the Explanatory Notes section.

I don't know about you, but I didn't bother with reading all the detailed
stuff about testing and rendering methods.

Tim.