Old 05-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Timber

Default Weed control

I don't think it would hurt. Composting helps some with weed control if
your tumbler attains a high enough temperature to kill the seeds that would
help. However in my experience with horse manure (I get mine from a friend
who is very picky about what they eat and everything but as the saying goes
WEEDS HAPPEN). He was looking for weed control from his compost and in
other postings he made he mentioned he had composted it. I have the same
problems even after composting at high heats---that's why I went to the tea
and hole method.

As you know from composting---some weeds require a much higher heat than
others to kill off the seeds which might sprout plants. That's why I
started doing it as a tea and then bury what's left over. The hole where
it's placed produces fantastic soil within a few weeks and I don't have to
worry about what might be located a few feet below the surface as the weeds
don't germinate well at that depth (at least not in my experience)

Timber
www.timberslodge.net
....a Step Through Time

"Randy Price" wrote in message
Thanks, would it make sense to compost the manure before brewing the tea?

The
manure breaks down in about a month in my tumbler. -RP