Old 26-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default salt

I guess it becomes a matter of whether or not ALL the fish are sick, or if
it's just one (or a few). Salt is a *bear* to get back out of the pond -
many, many water changes. If the salt doesn't do what's expected, and you
have to try other meds, anything that's formalin based will become lethal to
the fish if the salt level is much above .05% (absolutely no more than
..08%). I try to keep a low level (.02-.05) of salt in the pond for osmotic
reasons, but I would much rather try to net the sick fish, plunk it in the
Q/H tank, and salt it there. It's much easier to adjust the percentage rate
in 200 gallons than it is in the pond. It's also easier and cheaper to
medicate the smaller tank. Caveat: there are also many times when you WANT
to medicate the whole pond, to get rid of the creeping crud that may be
hiding in plants or elsewhere!

Lee

"Denise" wrote in message
I was told by a few people (who should know!) NOT to use salt with koi
in pond or tank.

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc