Old 26-06-2003, 05:32 PM
martin

Default Composting Tea Bags

On 26 Jun 2003 07:46:23 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
"andrewpreece" writes:

| Isn't it illegal ( EU directive ) to have a compost heap within 270 feet (?)
| of a domestic dwelling, so if you have one at all you're probably a
| criminal, never mind what you put on it.....
| It is also illegal ( EU directive ) to burn wood on other than the
| ground it was grown on. I expect you'll all be turning yourselves in to
| the police bright and early tomorrow - if you come clean they might go
| easy on you!!!

Don't accept the propaganda of the Little England fanatics as
truth - most of it is VERY far from that!

In the UK, 95% of what is blamed on EU rules and bureaucracy is
due to Whitehall, which is damn good at finding excuses to do what
they want to do and passing the blame onto someone else. After
many years of the practice, I am glad that even the Torygraph has
FINALLY realised that the practice of 'gold plating'[*] is the
norm, even though it still publishes mainly anti-EU propaganda.

There is also the fact that these directives and other regulations
usually start off by being proposed and even pushed by countries'
bureaucrats on the EU committees. At least once or twice, and I
believe many more times than that, the UK has demanded some that
were not wanted by almost anyone else, only to then claim in public
that they were all the fault of the EU!

[*] Taking an EU directive, such as a requirement to control an
area to avoid cross-border crime or health problems, and building
it up into a total ban or extreme bureaucratic requirement.

Give credit where credit is due. And do the same for blame.

The much derided EU Recreational Craft Directive was almost entirely
the work of the British Ship Building Federation trying to protect the
British boat building industry.
--
martin