Old 26-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Jim W

Default young trees, lost label!

Pam Moore wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:34:09 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

I have some young trees I planted in pots a couple of years ago as seeds.

I am fairly sure they are either cornelian cherry (cornus mas), or cherry
plum (prunus cerasifera). But I can't remember which, and I've lost the
label and the packet!

Your description does fit with them being chery plum. I grew one from
seed and planted it on my allotment about 7 or 8 years ago. It is now
10 feet high and ready to be cut down. I gave it an ultimatum; fruit
this year or else. It was covered in flowers but not a single fruit
set. I assume there is nothing to pollinate it nearby, and I do not
have room for another.
Be aware of this if you nurture them and they do turn out to be cherry
plum.

Incidentally they can also be pruned/trained into arches/hedges etc..

Most attractive.
//
Jim