Old 26-06-2003, 09:50 PM
sw

Default Composting Tea Bags

Ophelia wrote:

"sw" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies
into the dustbin, and there was a proposal to make it illegal to
put meat scraps into the compost bin, but I don't remember anything
explicitly about tea bags.

um. The proposal (the Animal By-Products Amendment Order 2001) would
have made it illegal to put teabags or any other domestic kitchen waste
(including vegetable matter) in the compost bin, but it was decided that
home composting should have a derogation. Probably because TPTB couldn't
work out how to police it...

Thank you Sarah... you have saved my sanity or what is left of it

Essjay posted something about the original order; as I understand it,
the Amendment allows farmers to put composted waste on fields (the
original order prevented this). In September our District Council is to
introduce a green bin scheme collecting household compostable waste;
they've deliberately avoided the issue by dealing with a firm who have
contracted to supply anaerobic digestion facilities. I want a tour of
the site when it's up and running!

regards
sarah

--