Old 26-06-2003, 11:08 PM
jhultman

Default How do you harvest Basil?

Herbs benefit from being pinch harvested periodically. New growth will start.
Pinch of the flowers as they appear. Unless you want some seeds for next
years plants. The plants leaves will develop better without the
flowers. Pinch off what you need to cook with from several places around
the plant.
I usually go down the stem a few and pinch off just above a juncture
that has new growth in the crotch of the branch. I use the flowers
in cooking.

Even if you don't need the basil and the plant needs a trimming do it
and dry the leaves in loose folded paper towel. Air circulation is
needed to keep them from molding. On top of the fridge or like place
where they'll be left undisturbed. Then jar them up for later use.

Fred Murtz

FOW wrote:

I have some Italian ( green ) basil that I planted in a large pot.It is now
looking ready to pick, starting to flower.
Can I just pick the top off and some large leaves? Or should I just pull the
whole plant ?