Old 06-03-2003, 02:03 AM
lyn

Default Cut the tree, but keep the wood?

I have taken pieces of downed wood from trees that I have planted, and
brought them to a wood turner, and had small bowls, vases, or other
objects made from them as keepsakes. I hate cutting down trees...! I
learned to carve wood as well, and now, when I am heavy duty pruning or
having to limp up trees, I will carve pieces into neat things I use in
the house! And ditto to everything the others have said as far as
chipping, burning and using ash, etc. Lyn

simy1 wrote:

pgh wrote in message ...

The lot in the backyard of the house we are buying
has two trees, one which we'll eliminate, and a
second one which we'll spare, except for a major
branch that portrudes into the area where we plan
to garden. Keep in mind this is SW PA, and bright
sunny days are not too common. I need all the help
I can get. Out go the trees.

Question is: should I keep the wood (of the trees)
around for future use in the garden? That is, does
it have any utility whether as fertilizer, compost
ingredient, or something else (at the very least I
can use it as fuel for my barbecues)?

Thanks.

The chipped branches certainly have a use, though you can get
woodchips by the truckload for free. They will be the perfect
mulch for most perennials: long lasting, with a good P and K
content, and slightly acid. Excellent for tomatoes, most berries,
and fruit trees.

The logs can be placed in the ground and injected with mushroom
spores. By injecting several species, you could get 6 or 7
flushes per year. Visit www.fungi.com and specify type of wood.
They need the proper wood, shade and water to thrive.

The ashes from the BBQ or woodstove are a major K fertilizer and can
be used for those veggies that like high K, such as tomatoes, or
slighltyl higher pH, like cabbage, beet, onion, or spinach. Wood ash
also improves
the flavor of lettuce.