Old 26-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Gregory Young

Default salt

Denise:
I am sure they meant do not use it continuously.
It is perfectly appropriate to use it intermittently for things such as:
1) high nitrites .. but just temporizing, along with water changes and the
need to determine why you had a spike
2) to treat certain parasitic diseases
3) some use it early in spring during "Aeromonas alley", to insure there are
no parasitic problems that can serve as portals of entry for bacteria
Personally, I have never, in the last 20 plus years of ponding (1st pond was
1981-1982) used salt routinely. I have used it only to Rx disease, and then
remove it with water change outs. If done correctly they DO remove the salt.
Dips Rx the fish, but the pond will still contain the parasite, won't it...
Happy ponding,
Greg
--

"Denise" wrote in message
I was told by a few people (who should know!) NOT to use salt with koi
in pond or tank.

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc