Old 26-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Terry Horton

Default Bluebonnets!

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:07:32 GMT, Karen
wrote:

animaux wrote in
:
I also
was able to harvest about two pounds of seed, which, right
before the next planned rain will be spread out back in the
gardens.

JEEZE!!! That is one heck of a lot of seed.

I could never get Indian paintbrush to get going, so I bought
plants at The Natural Gardener last spring and planted them.
Maybe now they'll reseed and I'll see those interspersed with
the L.texensis.

I was planning to buy bluebonnet plants in the fall, but now I
guess I don't have to. I want a whole patch, but I guess it will
come.

Just be ready to wait a decade or two. :-) Bluebonnet seed may lay in
the ground years before germinating. An established patch of
bluebonnets has a large bank of seeds in the soil put down over many
years and generations.

If you want to speed things up a bit, Wildseed Farms sells scarified
(faster germinating) bluebonnet seed. If planted these as late as
early November with good result.