Old 06-03-2003, 02:39 AM
Gene Schurg

Default Plants as Airline Baggage

Tom,

Can you specify that it should go to the temperature controlled area?

Gene

"Elpaninaro" wrote in message
but was wondering what other people's experience
has been checking plants (orchids) as luggage and letting the folks get

them
to you at the other end? I know they ship dogs in crates under there

(poor
puppies).

Hi Gene,

I have had mixed success with this. The box is definitely going to get

some
abuse. My thoughts,

1. Make sure the plants are packed very tight with plenty of foam peanuts.

This
way the plants do not get loose and the box has some stability so it will

not
dent too badly when banged up against other stuff.

2. Make sure the box is headed for the temperature controlled cargo area.

This
is separate from the main luggage area where the temperatures get very

cold.

3. I would not recommend this for anything in bud/bloom or for fragile

plants.
More sturdy plants like Catts and the bigger Oncidiums are going to be

fine.
Paphs, I have had some damage most of the time.

Hope this helps!

Tom.