Old 27-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Bill R

Default Is my sunflower dead?!?

Callen Molenda wrote:

Oh, good. It has been way too wet and rainy for seeds here - all my
father's literally rotted in the ground - and I really did want some
sunflowers. I'm in Central VA and this time last week it was 60 degrees
with torrential downpours. Today we're supposed to hit 100. Sigh. So,
you think I can put the sunflower seeds in the ground this weekend and
have some sprouts before too long?

Thanks, Callen

Callen,

It is not to late to start sunflowers. In fact, it is a
good idea to stager start them so that you have fresh ones
blooming later in the season. I like to grow the small
varieties that are good for cut flowers and I don't want
them blooming all at once so I start new one every couple of
weeks from late april until about the middle of July. This
time of year I start them in four or six packs (like the
ones that annuals come in from your gardening center) and
they seem to get a better start than the ones I plant in the
ground. I think the starlings get a lot of the ones started
in the ground. I noticed quite a few shells around where I
planted the last bunch. I also like to give some of the
sunflower seedlings to my neighbors. The small ones (kids
and grand kids) really love them and enjoy seeing how fast
they grow.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen