Old 27-06-2003, 02:20 AM
James Curts

Default U.S. attack on Mexican Beef and Rice Protection at WTO

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"Torsten Brinch" wrote in message
On 26 Jun 2003 00:16:42 -0700, (Gordon Couger)
wrote:

Torsten Brinch wrote in message

. ..
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 03:36:45 -0500, "Gordon Couger"
wrote:

I showed a profit on cotton every year before any government

payments.
.. Every one publishes $0.56 for the cost of production for west
Texas cotton and my figures are 20% below that.

"Total [government] support to the [US] cotton sector in 2001/02 was
approximately $4.2 billion, equal to about $660 per planted hectare

or
95 cents per kilogram of lint produced. "
(International Cotton Advisory Committee)

Using your $0.56 figure for the cost of production and the subsidy
$0.95 cents/kg, it would appear to be a profitable business to grow
cotton in USA and dump it on the world market for almost nothing.

It is profitable for me or was until a storn took out every thing in
west Texas last week. The insurace will pay the note and milo or
poverty peas will pay 50 bucks an acer insted of the 300 cotton can
pay.

I run an more profitiatable operation by bein an early adopter and
taking advantage of tecnologhy before it becomes discounted in the
price.

I don't care what the average farmer does I care what I do and the
fellow that farms for me does. We sink or swim togeather on this deal
and we best look out for eahch others interest or some one esle will.
He is a good farmer and I do my best ro ge a good landlorad giving him
the best I can make work to farm with.

Many see it as a zero sum game and it is if you play it that way.
Investmenst and opertunties are what you mak of them. If you want to
farm organicly and depend on the doal for you lifing that's fine. I
try to make my crops pay thier way and maybe make a but and all the
dole and other govermnt goodie si mine to spend. I farmed a few year
when the goody wasm't there and trusting the goverment for you lifing
is like trusing a girly you met in a bar to take care of birth
control.

And now while you are talking everything but USAs illegal dumping of
commodities on the world market, in gross violation of WTO rules,
how's your hamster?

pity you couldn't cope with the situation that Gordon describes isn't it

Jim Webster

Grin ;-}

James Curts