Old 27-06-2003, 03:20 AM

Default Propagating rosemary

When the ancient war dogs did battle on 21 Jun 2003 14:43:25 -0700,
(Anne) did speak the following bit of wisdom:

Does anyone know how to propagate rosemary by stem? I live in
Vancouver, Canada and have tried a few times with no success. The
stem and leaves just turned black after a few days. Thanks in advance
for your feedback.

Hmmm... I've found rosemary to be one of the easiest things to grow
and propagate. I've even rooted the fresh-cut stuff you find for sale
in the supermarket produce aisle that is meant to be used for cooking!
It will root if you just break or cut a piece off and shove it into
some potting mix or if you stick it in a glass of water. Just take the
piece you want to root and run your fingers down it to remove the
needles that will be under water or soil. I've grown plants in sandy
soil, peat-based potting mix and the general dirt in my backyard. It
doesn't seem to be too fussy. Just don't let it dry out completely. A
dried/dessicated rosemary is a dead rosemary. Hope this helps...

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"