Old 27-06-2003, 09:44 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Does five gallon container contain five gallons?

"Repeating Decimal" wrote in message
in article , David

Hare-Scott
at wrote on 6/26/03 4:37 PM:

"Repeating Decimal" wrote in message
The five gallon containers for plants always seemed small to me.

Today
I got
to measure one of them. When I calculated the volume, it was 3.4

gallons not
five. Am I missing something? Is there a arcane standard for this?

Bill

This seems a large discrepancy even for a container not selling

product
by volume. Which gallon (USA or Imperial) does the container use?

How
did you do the sums to work out your figure?

David

I used the US gallon which is the smallest on my calculator. I US

gallon is
231 cubic inches.

The formula I derived, although it should be available in reference

books,
is:

V = (pi/3)*H*(R^2 +R*r+r^2).

H is the height of the conical frustum representing the shape of the
container. R and r are the upper and lower radii. H= 12 inches. R and

r are
each *half* of the diameters 9.75 and 8.5 inches respectively. Out

comes
3.4Gal.

Bill

Bill

Your sums are right giving 785 cu in and it seems (not being a native
user of US gallons) there are in fact 231 cubic inches per US (liquid)
gallon. So it looks like these pots are a very nominal 5 gallons.
Since you are buying a plant not an amount of soil I don't suppose it
matters much. I wouldn't want to buy soil, compost, etc from somebody
who used those volume measures though :-)

David