Old 27-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Howard Neil

Default Stihl FS400 strimmer

Just be thankful it was not the space shuttle, I recommend Stihl as my
little pup is now up and running trouble free after a little TLC.

Chris,

"Strimmer"?, "little pup"? The FS400 is classified as a "clearing saw".

I mention this because, as you bought it second hand, you may not be aware
of its full capabilities. Although you can use it with a strimming head and
a brushcutter head, you can also use it with a clearing saw head for the
really big stuff (felling small trees). Just to give you an idea of the
potential power, I use my FS400 with a brushcutter head almost exclusively.
I have a number of fields with a problem with blackthorn etc at the edges.
The brushcutter head copes perfectly with blackthorn up to about 1inch in
one cut but I have cut blackthorn up to 3 or 4 inches thick with three or
four "chops". The engine does not have any problem with this sort of abuse.
I am quite sure you will soon learn to love your FS400.

Regards

Howard Neil