Old 27-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Rick

Default Killing grass under my apple trees

I think this would be a mistake around trees. The water will run off
the paper and your trees will die of thirst. It is a great way to
kill off grass and weeds where one plans to plant a bed. I use
RoundUp around my fruit trees and mulch with straw or hardwood mulch.
This works fine and does no harm to the trees. Leave a 2-3 in gap
betweem the trunks and the mulch to discourage rodents, which may gnaw
the bark. Roundup is inactivated in soil and does not harm roots (but
avoid exposed roots). Just be careful not to hit the tree leaves with
the Roundup.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:04:15 -0400, WCD wrote:

The Cook wrote:

I saw this on an Elliott Coleman show. Put down several layers of
newspaper or use cardboard. Put mulch (leaves, grass, etc.) on top
and leave it for 6 months. They were doing this in the fall and said
the grass would be gone by spring.

Excellent!! That's just what I was looking for.

Did you see that recently? I haven't seen Eliott on TV lately. Now
there's a guy with a ton of interesting ideas! A couple of years ago we
went on a garden tour of the Blue Hill area and their place was on it.
Very inspiring!

Thanks.