Old 06-03-2003, 04:27 AM
Hawkeye

Default Elephant Ears

Make sure you WANT THEM. They have a tendency to take off and encroach
where you don't want them. Would suggest a pot for each.

TakeThisOut wrote:
I just picked up 6 Elephant Ears bulbs (tubers?) They're as big as cantelopes.
According to the package, I can plant them indoors now (4-6 weeks before the
outdoor growing season begins) I have 6 huge 10 gallon post and the rich soil
mix ready to go, but 1 problem... I can't tell which way the bulb is "up".
These bulbs are very clean and dirt-free and have no root or old stem remanents
on it.

On each bulb, one end appears to have been cut cleanly with a knife as it's
kind of squared off so the bulb will sit on a flat surface. And all over the
opposite side of the sphere there seem to be round discolorations of varying
diameters, so I figure the squared off end is the root, and the other end is
the stems. Correct?

I Did a google search on these and there have been lots of posts on this board
regarding elephant ears, but not this issue.

TIA

Now - 52 degrees and raining in Long Island NY
Tomorrow - 31 and snow 2-4"

.
.
.