Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Alternate Personality

Default scorpion control?

I poisoned them for years before I gave up.

Do you mind letting me know what you've tried that didn't work?

Unfortunately, I don't remember. I think it's been 8 - 10 years since I've
had a pest control company come out. I know I tried both "organic" and
"non-organic" pest control companies and as I recall, they tried several
different approaches. For a couple of years I had a service contract, I
think with ABC Pest Control, such that they came out and did their thing
every 3 months. Whatever they used, it killed everything, but after a couple
of months the scorpions were always back. I didn't like the fact that in
addition to the scorpions, it was killing the big spiders (including some
tarantulas) outside my house. (They applied something to the exterior as
well as the interior.) Plus, I still had scorpions inside after a couple of
months went by... I also became worried that one of my cats or dogs would
eat a poisoned bug and get sick. All in all, the chemicals just seemed like
a bad thing to use over a long period of time, but at this point I have
completely forgotten the chemical names.

I've heard from a friend that the diatomaceous earth worked well for fleas,
but she did say that it took a while (several months, at least). Sealing up
your house and trying some of the organic approaches like this could help a
lot, though, and certainly seem worth a try. Since you've already got the
receptacle-sealing wall pads, I wonder if the previous owners of your house
may have had trouble with scorpions too? This in turn might suggest you're
in a scorpion-prone area... are you west of town, outside 360? That's where
I live, and they truly are endemic here.

btw, caulking your house, making sure your ducts aren't leaking, replacing
the weather stripping, and even the wall pads should all help improve the
energy efficiency of your house as well as helping to keep out the bugs. So
it's an overall good thing to do, anyway.

Also, someone wrote me offline and said that a paste of baking soda + water
would kill the sting in a couple of minutes. It's still best not to get
stung, of course, but if you do, that's another simple home remedy to try. A
tobacco poultice also works, but you need to have some pretty fresh tobacco
on hand, and if you don't smoke, that can be tough. I found out the hard way
that the tobacco in 15-year old cigarettes doesn't work (I've kept a pack
that long specifically to make poultices from). Having recently watched a
47-year-old 2-pack-a-day smoker die horribly from lung cancer, I don't
particularly want to support the tobacco industry anyway, even to the extent
of buying a new pack of cigs each year. Next time I'll try the baking soda.

Good luck!

alternate