Old 27-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Mouldy bread and compost heaps.

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:

| The green mould isn't bacteria, it's fungi. Fungi are usually fairly
| specific about what they will grow on.

Er, not moulds and yeasts. One extreme example is Botrytis cinerea,
which will grow on almost anything, but so will the Penicillins
(which it could well be).

| Also is it reccomened to add bread to the compost heap, and what type
| of matter will it break down into?
|
| Bread doesn't have a lot of substance to it and doesn't add a lot to the
| compost heap, and it may attract rats

Buy better bread! That is true of Americanised foamed starch,
but is not true of Real Bread (TM). While it could attract rats
in theory, I don't think that it is a problem in practice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.