Old 27-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Vinegar/water weed killing solution? NOT!

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in
.com:

So is that crackpot Jerry Baker your "master gardener"?

A vinegar in water solution will not kill weeds. Mixed with olive oil,
it would make a nice vinaigrette for your tossed salad but that's
about all.

Maybe if you used glacial acetic acid (no water at all) it might work
but that is an extremely toxic and volatile chemical for you to be
playing with.

Chelsea Christenson wrote in message
My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water
for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is
the correct ratio of vinegar to water?

I don't know what the "correct" concentration is, but you might want to
start with 1 tablespoon vinegar to 1 quart water. (I could be way off).

Use more or less depending on how dilute your vinegar is to start with.

The idea is to make your own mini-acid rain storm, vinegar being acetic
acid. I also don't know if this will kill your weeds, but having used this
method, I know it sure will make them turn brown fast on a hot day.

-- Salty