Old 27-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Repeating Decimal

Default Does five gallon container contain five gallons?

in article , David Hare-Scott
at wrote on 6/27/03 1:35 AM:

Your sums are right giving 785 cu in and it seems (not being a native
user of US gallons) there are in fact 231 cubic inches per US (liquid)
gallon. So it looks like these pots are a very nominal 5 gallons.
Since you are buying a plant not an amount of soil I don't suppose it
matters much. I wouldn't want to buy soil, compost, etc from somebody
who used those volume measures though :-)

It does matter! Bigger pots, supposedly have larger plants than smaller
ones. This is especially true for fruit trees where the plants can be very
expensive. On canned soup supplier was once nailed for filling its bowl with
marbles in order to make you think you were getting more than you were.

Bill