Old 27-06-2003, 07:16 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Default Spider plant or airplane plant question (Chlorophytum)

That "no chlorine" fable is absolute nonsense even though it has become
firmly ingrained in the minds of many gardeners and many actually swear by
the unsubstantiated notion.

Chlorophytum leaves naturally die back from the tips even in the wild
(without chlorinated water) and all you can do is cut off the dead tips if
they offend you. Most likely its the outermost leaves dying back to make
room for the new growth. Remember that leaves are only temporary structures
and they will eventually die no matter what you do. If its only the
outermost leaves dying back, just remove them.

Be sure to water your plants thoroughly and don't let them sit in standing
water for long to prevent salt build up in the soil.

mypet wrote in message
om...
My mother's airplane plant has begun a nosedive! VBG It was doing
beautifully and suddenly the leaves began to turn brown on the ends
and there are holes in the leaves but she can't find what is causing
the holes. I remember being told something about not using tap water
to water these plants because of their sensitivity to any chlorine,
but I have never had one and don't have any experience to draw on.
Can anyone make suggestions? Thanks.