Old 27-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Alternate Personality

Default Fireplace Ashes Affect Soil?

And, FWIW, brush and yard waste in Austin is trucked to Hornsby Bend,
where
it's mixed with sewage sludge to make Dillo Dirt. It doesn't get
landfilled. See: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/water/dillo.htm

Cool! I don't live in the city and hence don't have city services. I hope
the non-city contract waste disposal services take their yard waste to
Hornsby too. Most people where I live either make brushpiles and burn them
in the fall or rent chippers to make brush (mostly tree trimmings) into
mulch, though I do occasionally see bundles of yard waste left out for the
weekly trash pickup. Hornsby Bend looks like a really interesting facility.