Old 27-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Composting Tea Bags

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Pat Gardiner" writes:

| The days of leaning into the paddock and treating the pig to an apple core
| or throwing some scraps of bread and cake to the chickens have gone, it
| seems. The exact opposite of what was intended.

The exact opposite of what was intended by the EU. I don't think
that Whitehall intended anything different. Small organisations
and private business-like activities are regarded as a nuisance,
to be actively discouraged even when not explicitly forbidden.
This has been the de facto policy for at least 50 years.

Whereas in France, Spain, you name it, where they respect peasants and
their contribution to gastronomy, they avoid enforcing the dafter
regulations even after they've exhausted all possible contortions to
keep them off their statute-books for as long as possible. But even in
France, beware Monsanto (ask José Bové, at present in the nique).

Mike.