Old 27-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Theo Asir

Default Dying Canes and Fungicide

Sorry hit send too soon.

I know of atleast 2 varieties
of canker on my roses.

The tip variety is relatively harmless.
Just cut back to clean cane.

The other one I've seen occassionally
causes black/purple spots with a whitish
raised ridge around it.

This causes loses of entire canes for me.
I've only seen it a couple of times.
I'm not sure what variety it is. I didn't mess
around with fungicides but rather cut the
entire cane away. Ouch!

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

Julie, I have not had the
pretty extensive damage you are
seeing. But I've seen a lot of
damage caused from spraying in high
heat when the roses is transpiring the most.

Its the heat not the sun that causes damage.

As I noted earlier My cornell
mix does this unfailingly.

As far as the least resistance to BS correlation
I can't imagine it.

In my experience most tip die back begins with the
roots. If the roots are not collecting enough nutrients
the rose begins cutting back on cane.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"Unique Too" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
The thing that alarms me is a purple "bruising" on the stems of Old
Blush,

Several of my roses are having a similar problem. The canes develop

purplish
spots, then the cane turns yellow with spots and then dies. This

condition
develops not on the small end branches, but on either a main cane or

lateral.
When the cane starts to go, the tips of the branches above the cane with

start
dying, looking like dieback. From spots to dead isn't long, a week or

two
at
the most.
If it is dieback or canker, fungicides should help. When I first

noticed
it, I
began spraying more regularly, but I have never used Banner Maxx more

often
than 14 days.
I must wonder if the problem is not a lack of fungicide but the result

of
fungicide, specifically Banner Maxx. I never had this problem until two

years
ago, a few months after I started using Banner Maxx. The only roses

affected
are those that are sprayed and all the sprayed roses, except Rose de

Rescht,
show the same symptoms. I've read other posts, on other boards, where
dieback/canker/whatever is becoming more of problem than ever before.

And
believe more people are using Banner Maxx, it seems to be the current

favorite.
I'm not accusing Banner Maxx, I'm not convinced it is the problem, but

do
wonder. It could be the roses least resistant to BS are also the least
resistant to whatever is causing this problem. I've stopped spraying

the
two
roses most affected, they are down to one cane already. Since I expect

loose them anyway, they are my test roses. If the situation improves on

these
two roses, I'll start spraying again, but not with Banner Maxx and see

what
happens.
Anyone else having the same/similar problem?
Any comments?
Julie