Old 28-06-2003, 01:44 AM
K30a

Default Where to buy critters?

BV wrote Nematodes? Hydra?

Nematodes are an invertebrates. Commonly called roundworms. They will get all
agitated and curl into an 'S' shape. They live in the gunk at the bottom of the
pond. There are over 1,000 different species. Some are parasites investing
other worms and small crustaceans. Some are predatory and some feed on plants.
Hydras are kewl! I've found some in my pond water and transferred them to a
glass pondlet in my house to watch. They have a squashy body with tentacles
and attached to the glass. They feed on algae, organic debris, tiny one celled
critters, tiny larvae of various insects. Some entangle their prey in their
stinging tentacles.

(info from POND LIFE by George K. Reid, PhD)

k30a