Old 28-06-2003, 02:08 AM
FDR

Default Cutworms

"Noydb" wrote in message
FDR wrote:

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:54:30 GMT, "FDR"

wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

Even though some of the affected plants still appear ok, will they

die?

If it looks as if they are going to die anyway then cut off the upper
part

of
the plant(s) and put it in a container of water. At least six inches

of
the
stem, even if you must cut off some leaves. It will start to grow

roots
in a
few days. Plant this portion when the roots are a few inches long.

Obviously, the plant will not be as big and productive as you had hoped

but you
have nothing to lose at that point. All is not lost.

Unfortunately, I am leaving on vacation for a week starting tomorrow.

On top of that, i live in zone 5a (Syracuse NY) so the remaining growing
season is 2-3 months at best.

--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a

Plant them directly and deeply in the soil. SOAK the soil. Upend a 2 liter
soda bottle full of water to continue weeping water into the soil while

you
are gone. (Plug the hole with a piece of rag.) Mulch like crazy and have a
nice vacation. When you get back you will be no worse off than now and you
may be quite a bit ahead of where you are today. Even if the tomatoes do
not ripen, both fried and pickled green tomatoes are what life is all
about.

:-)

Bill

Thanks for both posters suggestions. I don't want to feel like I'm whining,
though I am I'll just see what happens and post my results.