Old 28-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Freeda

Default Deer ate my tomatoes

I've got a lone and frankly kind of sickly plant left that may ripen.
I've decided that since the plant is in a pot, I'll move it to the porch
when it starts to ripen. It's a bit shady, but figure it wont hurt it
too much. Of course if the deer walk up the stairs and onto the porch
I'll probably have a real mess to deal with.

For next year I plan on a proper raised bed with a sturdy wire fence.
I'll cover the top with chicken wire to keep crows out. I'll also bury
some chicken wire to help deal with the underground varmits.

Man gardening was easy in northern California!

Free

"Roger\"X\"" wrote in
:

Okay, I was the one that suggested the electic fence. I will make a
couple more comments and bow out. First if you live in down town New
York, I wouldn't suggest an electric fence- -you will have to just
live with the deer problem there, orany other Metro area.

The reason I wanted to mention the children or pets is "I don't want
some Dumb-ass to run a dangerous fence like a 110V wire."

Now on the us of a proximity detector. I built me one out of a motion
detector and two old smoke alarms. It worked fine for a while, but I
had troubble keeping batteries in them. After about a month they
would eat my roses and listen to the music!!!

Have a good one, and protect our kids- - -they are worth it. .
.RogerX.