Old 28-06-2003, 04:44 AM

Default salt

Sounds like you got it under control. OTOH, salt levels this high are hard on fish
for more than a few days, if the gills were compromised by disease the fish wouldnt
have made it. It kills plants, it may cause the biofilter to crash. None of this is
good. The idea is not to kill all the parasites, actually that is not really
possible anyway. It is to drop the level and slow em down to where the fish can
fight the disease themselves while providing as pristine water conditions as
possible. both formalin and PP will do this and be gone in 4-12 hours. Ingrid

DesertPond tapetrade@[No Spam]cox.net wrote:
I lost one of my koi 3 weeks ago to Costia, I was leary of salting
the water myself but tried it out of desperation. I salted to .4 % and
let it sit for 3 weeks. Lots of cleaning the filters because of dead
algae and plenty of aeration. I just completed 'scrapes' of about 7 of
my fish and there's no sign of costia or anything else now. The fish
are doing great, appetites are definatley up and I'm going to do water
changes to get it back down to .1% which I've been told is good for
long term health.

If you have a problem I can now personally recommend salt treatments
they worked like a charm. Though it sure sounds like a hell of a lot

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.