Old 06-03-2003, 06:04 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Plants as Airline Baggage

On 06 Mar 2003 04:37:11 GMT, (Elpaninaro)
wrote:

Ditto with me. I haven't tried it since 9/11 though. The last time I went
through the security check in Boston it took about an hour in line and they
searched through everything. I have visions of them making me unpot plants
in the middle of the airport.

Good point. I never thought about that. Quite a few components of certain plant
potting mixtures could set off detection systems indicating potential
ingredients in an explosive device.

Tom.

I have traveled with plants since 9/11. Just put a solid
cardboard box under and encase in large clear plastic that can be
tied as a bubble over. Everyone was fascinated with the thought
(of course it was Wisconsin not Florida) that I was traveling
with "ORCHIDS" But they wanded the box and looked at the
greens... never opened the plastic bag. Due to a cancellation I
went thru security twice. - The gate did not do a second search.
Everything was cool. If something is in bloom it helps intrigue
people and of course gray haired women are "safe." So gentlemen -
I don't know.

As to traveling otherwise. John once went to CA on a business
trip with a samsonite hardside suitcase and a rolled up carry on
(Totes) bag spare. . He came back with his business suit rolled
up in the carry on and the Paph's all strapped in the suitcase.
They were newspaper rolled and wrapped for shipping as if they
were yesterday's garbage and packed in tight. No damage. No
special handling. It was after a visit to Rand's so you know the
type of material he was carrying. I guess the answer is the
weather, the wrap, and pack tight. When we moved we packed
moving boxes with full size catts wrapped this way. Some were
wrapped and packed for 7 days none suffered damage. These things
are generally tougher than we give them credit for.

SuE